This Church of God was established on 10thMarch 1912, initially as the Church of God, Tondu. The assembly register for that first Sunday records seven people as being present; Mr Jesse Doel and his wife Alice, and their son Jesse; Mr George Prasher and his wife Margaret and their son George; and a relation, Robert Prasher. Family names obviously stretched the imagination in those days as the “Doels” also had a daughter called Alice as well as son Jesse and the “Prashers” had a daughter called Margaret, as well as son George! Jesse was an overseer from the start and George a deacon of the small church. The church met for its first 5 years at the home of Jesse: 42 or 43 Maesteg Road, Tondu. There is a little confusion as the 1911 census reveals Jesse lived at number 43, but the church archives suggest the meetings were at number 42. David Davies and his wife and daughter Bronwen were added to the assembly in 1912 and Mr Davies was a stalwart alongside Jesse Doel for many years.
In 1917 the church moved to a new meeting place, just the other side of the railway, but now officially in a part of Aberkenfig, West Street Hall, Bridgend Road. It was renamed therefore as the Church of God, Aberkenfig and there were, during that year, 17 individuals listed in the register with George Prasher now having been recognised as an overseer. The “Prashers” relocated to Matlock during the year. Mr Davies was recognised as an overseer in 1920 and by 1922 there were 22 names of people on the roll.
After 8 years at West Street Hall, in 1925 the church moved again, across Bridgend Road, to East Street Hall, probably on the corner with Bridgend Road and in 1929 a piece of land, one street further north in New Street became available to lease from Mr Harry Thomas, who lived at 52 St Brides Rd, Aberkenfig. A fifteen year lease was signed on 26th August for the princely amount of £1 pa, with options to extend the term. Loans were offered by various individuals both part of the assembly and from other churches of God and £140 was raised which allowed the construction of a corrugated iron building, known as New Street Gospel Hall.