We’re beginning to see an easing of lockdown restrictions, not so much where I live in Wales, but England has today opened non-essential shops. It’s been amazing to see, via the media, the queues outside shops; this was obviously a much welcomed initiative. Social bubbles have been set up to allow single people the opportunity of mixing with one other household. This is allowing a grandparent to see grandchildren, which must be a great source of joy to those involved. However, this is not what I’m talking about when I say something is happening.
The UK is beginning to wake up spiritually. A nation that abandoned God many years ago is realising that they need him. Here are some indicators I picked up today.
- There is a song called the UK Blessing that’s gone viral. It’s Christians from churches across the UK, using Zoom, to sing together a wonderful blessing on the nation. It’s been viewed over 3.2 million times, and people who had no faith are being moved to tears when they hear it. If you haven’t heard it yet, google and listen, it’s well worth it.
- Prior to lockdown about 5-7% of the nation were attending church. That figure has shot up to 24% joining online services. That’s 1 in 4 people attending church, an amazing figure.
- Bible sales have gone through the roof, with a 55% increase.
- Research commissioned by Tearfund suggests that three million people in the UK have started to pray since lockdown.
- Young people are leading this resurgence in faith. The 18-30 group, the post Christian generation, are being honest enough to see that God is needed in their lives, and they are reaching out to him.
Are you part of that generation, or are you older? It doesn’t really matter what your age is, you have the same issue to deal with. You need Jesus Christ in your life. However, if you’re older, you’re likely to be more resistant. I know from my own experience that the older you get the more resistant you are to change.
For so long now the world has gone its own way, and it’s a bad way. It’s not bringing peace, happiness, or contentment. It’s doing nothing about hatred, violence, or suffering. When was the last day this world knew peace? When was the last day you knew peace? Peace doesn’t exist outside Jesus Christ, that is my belief, but for those who believe that he died for them, and regard him as their Saviour, they get to know real peace. In times of stress the Bible says,
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”(1)
“The peace of God which transcends all understanding”. A peace you can know in lockdown. A peace you can have in a world filled with bigotry. A peace you can have when you’re terminally ill, or a loved one is. A peace you can have no matter what problems you face. This is what you can have in Jesus Christ. I know it, because I experience it. It looks as if millions are catching on and realising what God can give them in Jesus Christ. Make sure you’re one of them.
- Philippians 4:6-7